Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The kindness of a Qatari

This blew me away yesterday. Qatari people are not known for being nice when they are in vehicles, or really out of them. They will cut in front of you in line when you are in a store, ride your butt when you are on the road while flashing their lights, you name it, they will do it. Yesterday I went to the Al Meera store, it is convenience store but it has the best deals on stuff. Anyway, I was going to my car, pulled out my keys, put my groceries in and got in the car. I looked behind me to back up and there was a Land Cruiser behind me. The driver, a Qatari, was getting out so I just waited. He walked over by the front of my car, picked a 1 riyal note and gave it to me. He got out of the car to give me back the equivalent of 30 US cents. I was blown away. I still am blown away. What really makes this impressive is that it was REALLY hot and REALLY REALLY humid yesterday, like a sauna, and he got out of the car! Thank you Qatari man, I am blown away by your kindness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice... I think we need more comments on how life can be in this country... Like, you can leave your car running, ipod on the front seat, 500 riyal bills sitting on the front seat.. your only risk is that your engine will run dry, and your IPod will burst into flame and burn all those bills.. it's crazy. Good story though. I've seen similar things in my travels here.