Monday, April 13, 2009

Almost the end of the semester

I know, 2 posts in one day, isn't that amazing? Not too amazing considering the text for the last post has been written for a while. Life has been busy here but to terribly exciting.

Knitting yesterday was interesting. At about 1:30 pm the person who was going to host cancelled due to illness and about an hour later I volunteered. I did this knowing that no one else had stepped up to host and know that my house was not ready for company. So, I left work at 3 pm and went home to clean/straighten up my house. I got home and started working on the kitchen. My neighbors had come back from vacation the previous night and she came over to bring me some fabric she found for me (which already has a spot to be put in a project). Anyway, I have to get ready for knitting so I tell her what is going on and she says "What can I do to help?" I told her I just needed to clean and she started straightening the living/dining room and working on the floors. The only reason my house was ready for company last night was because of her, THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!! Knitting was fine but a busy time. I am helping 2 people with some projects so that was interesting while trying to make pancakes. Everything turned out well so I am very thankful for that.

So, at the end of February I started Weight Watchers. I am finally trying to do something about being too heavy and it is working. I have lost at least 9 pounds and my clothing is looser. I still have a long, long, long, long way to go but I have taken the first step. I've been exercising more too and that has helped. I know several people on the program so the support that we can give each other has been amazing and really helps when all you want is a pizza with extra toppings and chocolate. I'll keep you posted to how it is going.

Summer trips, ah, my favorite part of the year! I had to make some changes to my summer trip due to visas. I found out that to take the train from Warsaw, Poland to Vilnius, Lithuania you actually travel through Belarus. I would love to go there (Eastern Europe is my thing right now.) but any visas given to US citizens cost $180 and I would have to get the visa while in Poland. A one way plane ticket from Warsaw to Vilnius is $110. I personally think it is a no brainer. So, what that means is that I'll overnight 1 more night in Warsaw so I have to find another place to stay.

Another funny about the summer trip. I was think that I would like to go to the city of Danzig while I'm in Poland. I thought it would be interesting but I couldn't find it in the Lonely Planet book. So I went to google to search for it. I found out the it was officially called the Free City of Danzig and in 1945 control of the city was back in Poland's hands and it reverted back to its Polish name of Gdansk. I had already planned to be there! So that worked out nicely I thought and I'll let you know how the city is in August.

About the title of the post, the semester is almost finished. I have 1 more lab to teach, a review session and then 3 finals to give next week, oh, and lots and lots of grading. I'll be teaching summer school this summer so that will be interesting especially since it is a class I have never taught before.

Anyway, I hope all is going well wherever you are and I hope you had a Happy Easter. Mom asked if the Easter Bunny came to my house this year and I say that he did, just via Fed Ex. :)

2 comments:

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

So you like WW?

I've been thinking of it off and on, trying to decide it it's worth it. I've probably got about 20lbs to lose, and honest think of ww in terms of, okay, $12/week times at 1 lb a week would be $240!!!

But if it worked I suppose it'd be worth it... Anyway, haven't made up my mind yet.

Layne Sarvela said...

I do like WW. I like that nothing is off limits when it comes to food. You get a certain number of points per day plus extra for the week. I can choose to spend all my points on chocolate or I can spend it other food.

Cost was a big issue for me as well, however, I am doing it online and it is cheaper that way. That said, one of the good things about WW is that you have the support and tips from others around you trying to do the same thing. I don't have the meeting but I have other means of support. Look at the online program if you are looking at it, its different but it is very convienent for me.