Tuesday, January 13, 2009

bit of an update

I am finally back. Well, I’ve been back for a while now but I’ll give you a brief update of what I have done over the last few weeks.
Berlin-It was very neat to go there. I flew into one of the Berlin’s airports and then took the bus to the Zoological Garden stop and then walked the 10 minutes to the hotel. I went to a little Christmas Market by the bombed church and got dinner and looked around. The next day I went to Brandenburg Gate. I wasn’t too impressed at first, until I realized I was looking at the back side of the gate. The front is much better than the back of the gate. I saw the Reichstag, Checkpoint Charlie, the TV Tower, more Christmas Markets, and several museums. The sad part was I lost my hat that I knitted and my map. Well, I lost my map several times.
Dresden-A much smaller town and THANK GOD that there was an information person to help me find my hotel. It was a very nice hotel. I went to several Christmas markets there too. One of the oldest/best markets was by the synagogue, I laughed at that and the lady at the desk didn’t understand what I thought was funny. I was cold there too. The wind was blowing and it was snowing/raining so it was cold for a person who has spent the last year in the desert. I went to the Zwinger Museum and saw the Sistine Madonna, pretty cool.
Leipzig-I spent one day there, and 10 minutes the next day. I went to a Stasi Museum, the burial place of Bach, and St Nicholas Church. I had dinner (Saxon rolls of pork with noodles, steamed vegetables and a cream sauce) which was really good. I don’t remember the name of the restaurant but I could find it again.
Frankfurt-Found a great hotel close to the Frankfurt Main Station. I went to another Christmas market and then to the airport.
Flying Home-Not a bad flight, just really long. I watched 3.5 movies from Amsterdam to Seattle. I didn’t sleep at all until I made it to SeaTac. At SeaTac I fell asleep at a gate and they loaded an entire plane which I slept through. I made my flight though.
HOME-It was so good to see everyone. I didn’t get to see everyone I wanted to see but I only missed one or two, I think. I was REALLY good to see my sister’s kids. The kids have grown so much in the past year.
Back to Doha-The flight was long, the stop Frankfurt was good, and the flight back is finished now.

1 comment:

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

Wow. You are nothing less than a globe-trotter now. I finally got out of the country (for the first time in my life and for a week) the first week in November last year, and I drove my first road trip just this week.

Still think driving is over-rated and I haven't been missing anything.

Happy to hear you're home(ish) safe. Have you said how long you expect to stay in D?