Sunday, May 25, 2008

Back from Finland



I have posted 2 pictures from my trip so far. The top one is me in front of a castle in Turku, Finland on Tuesday. The second picture is me from one of the scenic outlooks in old town Tallinn, Estonia. I had a wonderful time on my trip but am happy to be back where things are cheaper.

Another funny story for everybody. The last hostel that I stayed in was Helsinki’s Eurohostel. It was a very nice place except for 1 thing, the shower. I went to take a shower the first night I was there and was a little perplexed by the shower. On the temperature control is a small red button and then there is a large metal button on a knob beneath it. So after some experimenting I found that when you push the lower knob the water turns on. It drained from right above me and it was about 3C, very cold. I yelped out of the way, which was not very far considering that I am in a 2 inch by 2 inch shower stall, and pushed the shower head away from me. I then figured out that the little red button, that gives you hot water, very important. So I pushed the large button again and pushed the red button and the water was fine. Since I moved the shower head I looked up and by the time my head hit the water the large metal button had popped up and the water shut off. (You know in public bathrooms when you go to wash your hands the metal push faucet that never gives you enough time to rinse your hands? This is its cousin.) So I pushed it again, but forgot to push the red button and once more cold water came out. I finally managed the shower by using one hand to constantly push the buttons and the other to wash. Funny now, but frustrating then.

Another thing that was great about Finland was the pork. I had ham most everyday, sometimes twice a day. In Turku I found a restaurant that was right on the water, had good food, and had live jazz every night. It was a neat place to be in the evening. It was also right across from the hostel that I stayed at so I didn’t have to walk far at night alone (SEE MOM, I was thinking about safety!).

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the long weekend!

No comments: