Sunday, January 13, 2008

Fabric Souqs

January 13, 2008

I visited the fabric souqs on Saturday. WOW! The colors of fabric are amazing. This is what I have figured out. The souqs are in 2 different buildings, one building is very nice and new, the other is old and has more...character. I would guess about 99.9% of the fabric is on rolls and not on bolts. Some fabric is made for a specific purpose and you have to buy the whole unit (think of it as a panel). I saw lots of fabric with lots of shiny stuff on it. The amount of fabric that could be crammed into the shops was amazing. It was almost overwhelming. The quality of cotton that I found was not very good. Very thin, but then it was also about $2.75 per meter so you can't be too picky.

The clothing fabric was amazing. This fabric was just as good of quality that you would find in the states but must cheaper. There was silks, chiffon, crepes, and so many other things. The fabric that men make souqs out of was also there. I bought some fabric to make a skirt that, in the states would cost at least $15/yard instead was $7.75/meter.

Not a lot of sewing notions here, though. The thread that I found was not the quality that I am used to finding at home. Oh well, my thread will be here soon.

No comments: