Sunday, January 20, 2008

No thyme! but lots of stuff.

January 20, 2008

Ok, so I spent some time at the grocery store yesterday looking at spices. This is why, I can't find any chicken broth and the only chicken stock cubes I can find have everything written in Arabic, except the words "Chicken Stock." Anyway, so this is what I found out about spices, they are much cheaper here. So, the spice ailse is about the length of the ailse at a grocercy store, like Fred Meyers, and those whole side is full of spices. They also have bulk spices, too, but they don't have a lot of labels. Anyway, so I was looking for Basil, thyme, oregano, and bay leaves, oh, and parsley. I got a ton of bay leaves for about $2 in a jar no less, a large bit of basil for $1.50, parsley ws cheap too. Oregano was cheap, but more difficult to find. Not all of the brands stocked oregano and none of them had thyme. I did find large jars of garlic powder and none of onion powder. I also found jars of spices that I had never seen before and have no idea what to do with. Also, finding tomato sauce is a bit harder than I thought. The store only had one little spot of sauce but tons of tomato paste.

Another note is that I got the stuff that I sent from home on Thursday afternoon. It is wonderful to have book, some DVDs, and the rest of my clothes. It was like Christmas, but much cheaper. The bad news is that my film camera SLR made the trip but it doesn't work now so I'm dealing with the moving company on that one. I haven't tested my computer yet cause I am scared of the result.

Another developement this week is that I won't be getting paid until the 1st of February. At first I was a little miffed because there are some things that I would like to get for my apartment, but now I think this is a good thing. Instead of running out a spending money on what I want I am now forced to think about everything I would like to get and I can prioritize it. (Mom is jumping up and down at such a reasponsible statement coming from me!)

Oh, last night I made chili for dinner. I think it is more of an international dinner, the meat was from New Zealand, the corn from the Uk, the beans from UAE, and the prepackaged spices and sauce from the US. It was really tasty too.

1 comment:

momanddads said...

Thyme to get an intepretor to go to the store with you. (get it: thyme--time).
Love Mom