Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Home again home again, jigity jig

So, we hoped that we would be able to get off the boat early and have some more time in Venice before we had to get on the plane. Well, we were the last group off the ship so we only had time to get the shuttle to the bus station, get some lunch, and then get to the airport. So we got our bus ticket, found where we needed to be (not easy with 2 large suitcases), and then went in search of lunch, pizza particularly. We found this little place that only required 1 bridge to haul our suitcases up and down so we sat down and ordered. The pepperoni on this pizza was amazing. (So amazing that we asked the waiter if we could buy some from him.) He said yes and wanted to know why we wanted it. I told him that we couldn’t buy anything with pork in it where we lived and, I kid you not, he said “Momma Mia!” It would have made hauling our suitcases over 3 bridges worth it just to hear that from an Italian.


We took the bus back to the airport, only 2€ compared to 13€ for the water bus, and got checked in. My friend frequent flyer on Emirates, who we flew this time, so she gets more weight in her suitcases which was nice because my sandals put me over on weight so they got moved to her suitcase.


We flew to Dubai and then waited for our flight to Doha at 2:45am. About midnight we realized that we weren’t hungry but if we didn’t eat we might be hungry when we got home, so we had McDonalds at midnight.


We got home about 4 am and I went to work at about 11 that morning. I was still sick so it was a short day at work that day. That morning when I got up I went to the kitchen to see if I could find anything to eat and I saw bananas in a bag on the counter. I thought that they were going to be really icky if I had left them out all week and then I looked in the fridge. There was milk and apples, and other stuff too but I was really tired. I realized then that my neighbor had got some food for me so I could have breakfast. How cool is that? It was awesome and I was very thankful that I hadn’t left any food out for the week.


So that was the trip in a condensed version. The next trip on the agenda is home for Christmas. I currently have 46 days until I am in Alaska and 42 days until I am in the US. I am starting to plan next summer's vacation. My interest was peaked about the Austria/Hungarian empire so I am planning on going to Austria, Hungary, and Estonia in July. I would like to go to Croatia next September so that should be interesting and planning will seriously start in February.

No comments: