Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Santorini

This is where we went on the volcano hiking excursion. We took a tender to the island of Santorini and then a local boat to the volcano island. (Visiting Sitka every summer as a kid I always wanted to go on a tender and on this trip I figured out 2 things. The first thing was that if I ever owned/operated a tender I would name it the Chicken Tender. The other thing is that I get sea sick on tenders and that they were not as fun as they would have been when I was a kid.) It was fun to get away from the large masses of people and do some hiking. I think I only saw 2 plants on the whole island but it was still fun. After that we went to the main island and we had about 45 minutes or so there before we had to be back for the tender back to the boat. We took the cable car up to the top of the island and walked around for a little bit. Then we saw that the line for the cable car down was REALLY long so we, well I decided, to walk it. It was 588 steps down but these aren’t nice steps. These are wide steps that are being shared with donkeys and there ‘exhaust.’ This poop made it really slippery and about half-way down my legs decided that this was really stupid. We made it down, with our legs still attached, and got back on the boat. The elevators were so crowded that we had to walk up the 8 flights of stairs to get to lunch. Oh my body felt it the next day.

The stairs with the donkeys, and if you look really close, you can see the poop.
Budda in Greece! I thought this was funny on the volcano island.

Das boat. If you have x-ray vision you can see my room, I had an inside cabin. The yellow stacks are the logo of Coasta Cruise and go back to when the company started by selling/transporting olive oil. They kept the stacks that color to remember. Also, to keep with the olive oil theme they use A TON of it on board on pasta, pizza, veggies, and anything else you can imagine.


The volcano island that I hiked. Small with no vegetation but wonderful examples of sulfur in it natural form (yes this is the nerdy chemist!).



No comments: