Sunday, August 9, 2009

Gdansk-Part 1

It was supposed to be an 8 hour train ride, it turned into 9.5 hours to go from Krakow to Gdansk. The hostel that I stayed at here was on the river, literally. Technically, my room was in the river. The place is an old converted work boat that used to house workmen that has been refitted as a hostel. Not a bad place and the location was great. This first picture here is a picture of the river from just up the river from where I was staying. Very pretty I thought.
The royal way, don’t ask me what it is, is the heart of the tourist part of town. The statue of Neptune is right by the town hall. Very pretty place and you can’t take a step without seeing someone selling amber. I’ve never been a huge amber fan but I like the stuff here. It was tasteful and pretty and they had it in GREEN!! Yes, green amber does exist and is really pretty. I bought 2 charms for necklaces in green, 2 in traditional, and 1 with both colors.
So I climbed to the top of St. Mary’s Cathedral- a Gothic style brick cathedral- and took pictures of the town. It was 407 steps to the top.




If you look on the river for the white boat that looks long that was where I stayed.
Did I mention it was 407 steps?


No comments: