Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tartu, Estonia

The last country that I spent time in was Estonia. The first town was Tartu which on the eastern part of the country and is the home to Tartu University, the oldest university in Estonia. The school took over the hill in the town and the first picture is of the old ruined church. Part of it has been restored to a museum or something. I could have climbed to the top of the bell tower but you would have to pay me to go up them.
When I first saw this building I thought the builders really messed up. Then I looked on the map and saw that it is the art museum so it is supposed to be artsy.



This picture is of the Town Hall. You can see the dark clouds behind it and shortly after taking the picture the heaven's opened and it poured. I was dry underneath an umbrella eating dinner. Oh, dinner was interesting. I ordered pepperoni and pepper pizza. The menu said it was sweet peppers, like bell peppers, so I figured it would be ok. Well, I took a big bit of the pizza (I was hungry and it looked really good) but holy jalapeno! A little surprise for the mouth.
So people have asked me what kind of luggage I used on the trip. Well, I used 2 backpacks. I used the backpacking pack, below, and then a school sized backpack. This was the pack before I left Tartu. The roll on the bottom is the duffel bag that the pack travels in on the airplane and rolled up inside of it is a rag rug, a couple table clothes and runner. The top part of the bag is yarn. I forgot to take a picture of the pack before I left Estonia but I'll describe it to you. It started like this and then I added two white laundry style bags of yarn to the sides. Then I bought another rag rug and that was across the front of the bag. The small backpack hung off the front of my body when I was moving locations. The pack started at 8 kg (17.6 lbs) when I left Doha and when I checked in in Helsinki the checked bag was 22.3 kg (49.3 lbs). No wonder I lost 4 pounds on vacation!



No comments: