Wednesday, August 19, 2009

So what did you do last weekend?



I went to Abu Dhabi. My friend was going over and I thought it might be fun to go for the weekend. So, Friday morning I flew out and I returned on Saturday evening. Why did I go to Abu Dhabi? 3 reasons: Ikea, On The Border Mexican Grill, and the swim-up bar at the hotel.

So I few over Friday morning on Etihad Airways, another new one, and got to Abu Dhabi about noon. The flight is only 40 minutes so it isn't far. Since I was only staying 1 night I figured that I didn't need to check a bag. So I used a bag that I got in Helsinki on the 31st of July and rolled up my big red duffel bag inside of it with my clothes and stuff. I had my purse too but I didn't check any luggage (the last time I did that was 7 years ago). So my friend picked me up at the airport and we drove into Abu Dhabi, about 30-40 minutes to the hotel. I wasn't able to check in since my room wasn't ready but i dumped my stuff in my friends room and off to lunch we went. In the hotel was a Chinese and Thai place that we ate at and it was good. Then, we went to IKEA!! We could actually see the sign from the elevator of the hotel, no I couldn't see it from my room. So we went there for a couple of hours.

I bought some organizers and a shelving unit to keep the yarn. I wanted to get some bookshelves for the apartment but I couldn't lift the box that contained the shelves so I figured I might be over on the weight. I had fun. Then we went walking around the mall looking for the True Value Hardware, yes Dad I know you are proud, but we couldn't find it. So we went to the top of the tower in the mall for 'coffee' which means a free ride in the elevator if you get something. I think I would have rather paid for the ride since the drinks came with a 16% service charge and a 20% view charge. It was then that I discovered that I had forgotten to put in a memory card to my camera. So I saved some to the camera, which I don't know how to get out, and went back downstairs to get a new memory card. I found one at Radio Shack.
After that we went to the pool at the hotel. So we "swam" up to the bar, it was so shallow that we could have walked, and I ordered a strawberry daiquiri, which they don't serve on the pool side. So I ordered something else, this lime cucumber drink that was good. After the pool we got dinner and then found where On The Border restaurant is in Dubai. That was day 1.
Day 2. My friend and I met at the beach that morning and we swam for a little bit and then went in. I got cleaned up and put all my stuff into my friend's room and then off to Dubai! We didn't go all the way there, just the the Jumeriah Beach Residence and we ate and ate and ate.... When we left the place I was sing the song "I feel piggy, oh so piggy, with empanadas, and enchiladas, and teas!" Then we drove back to Abu Dhabi and went to the pool.
Finished the pool, went to IKEA one last time and then flew back to Doha. The flight was fine but immigration in Doha was REALLY backed up and it took me an hour and 20 minute to get through passport control. Then home and back to work.




No comments: