Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hiiumaa, Estonia-Part 1:AKA Almost Perfect

Hiiumaa, is the second largest island off the coast of Estonia. I love this place. I wish i could have stayed longer there but I had a plane to catch. On the Northern side of the island are 3 still working lighthouses that you can go in. The first picture is on the 1st lighthouse I drove to see but I couldn't go up into it because they are closed on Mondays.


This was the 2nd lighthouse I saw and I went to the top of this one. The stairs were very deep, about 12-14 inches each. You could feel the stairs in your thighs by the time you got to the top. The next picture is of the view of the island from the 2nd lighthouse.


This was the third and final lighthouse that I saw. This one is on the northern most tip of the island and is close to the memorial for the ferry than sunk a while ago. They put the memorial there, the ferry was named Estonia, because it is the closest spot in Estonia to the place where it sunk. A tragedy but the lighthouse was really pretty.

There used to be over 400 windmills on the island and now there are only 35 working ones. This is one of them.



No comments: