Monday, August 17, 2009

Riga-Part 1

Ok, so I left Vilnius to go to Riga, Latvia and I took a bus, a nice bus. I read in the travel book that in the Baltic States buses are the best way to get around rather than trains. It was a nice bus and it was faster than the train and I couldn’t find information about the train service so buses worked. I found the hostel and I wasn’t too impressed with it. It was cheap but I didn’t feel safe there so I stayed 1 night and then found a hotel for the next 2 nights. I spent the few days there just walking around. I went to the Occupation Museum and that was good.

This is the park on the side of Old Town Riga. It is a small park but it was a beautiful place.
So on bridges in Lithuania and Latvia I saw these locks on them. These locks had names and dates carved on them but I didn't know what exactly this was. When I asked a person at the hotel she said that when people get married they put the lock and the bridge and then throw the key in the water. The marriage will last as long as the lock is on the bridge.

This is one of the churches in Riga. The supports are there so the building doesn't fall down, makes me feel good.

The next 2 pictures are views of Riga from the bell tower of one of the churches. They had an easy way to get to the top of the bell tower, an elevator. I appreciated it.

No comments: